How to Update Blackmagic Cinema Camera
How to Update Blackmagic Cinema Camera – Getting Started
The last three cameras in Blackmagic’s Pocket Cinema Camera series, the BMPCC 4K, 6K, and 6K Pro, have all been successful upon their release.
What’s more, all these cameras have managed to strike a balance on features, quality, and price.
However, just because a camera looks and feels great upon release doesn’t mean the manufacturer’s job is done.
Like any top camera brand, Blackmagic Design has listened to feedback from photographers and continued to research, refine and fine-tune their products.
Blackmagic Design has released one of its most significant software updates to date. As a result, their Pocket Cinema Series Cameras are better than ever.
The much-awaited Blackmagic Update 7.3 comes packed with new features that promise to enhance the already impressive BMPCC software.
That said, let’s look at the features this new update brings to the BMPCC 4K, 6K, and 6K Pro and how to install this new update.
The Blackmagic Update 7.3 at A Glance
Some of the new features that will debut on the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K, 6K, and 6K Pro as a result of updating to the Blackmagic Update 7.3 are as follows
- Upgrade the cameras from luminance histogram to RGB histogram.
- Enhance the active lens control and autofocus.
- Enhance the focus peaking visibility.
- Correct the issue of importing Presets and LUTs.
- Add on-screen calibration settings.
- Add false-color guide display.
- Add color channel clipping gauges.
- Add support for screen dimming for power saving.
- Add support for Gen 5 color science.
- Add Blackmagic Q1 and Q3 RAW footage recording options.
How Do You Install the Update On Your Pocket Cinema Camera?
- Start by heading to Blackmagic’s support page to find the new update.
- Once you’re on the support page, click on ‘Pro Cameras’ to filter search results.
- Under the ‘Latest Downloads’ section, look for the newest camera update. Before clicking the download button, click ‘Read More’ to check if that’s the update you want. If it isn’t, you can proceed to the next and check that one too, and so on. Check until you find the latest update that includes updates for the BMPCC 4K, 6K, and 6K Pro.
- Once you’ve identified the Pocket Cinema series update, choose your OS (operating system). The options available are either Mac OS or Windows OS.
- Then download the compressed file to your PC.
- Once you’ve downloaded the compressed file, you will need to unzip it. To do this, double-click on the compressed file.
- At this moment, you will see the installer, uninstaller, manual, and other documents.
- Double-click on the installer to install it on your PC. Also, it’s advisable first to run the uninstaller if you already have a previous version of the Blackmagic Update on your PC.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to install the Blackmagic Camera Setup.
- Once the installation is complete, click on the Windows start button.
- Next, click on the ‘Blackmagic Design’ folder.
- Under the folder, double-click on ‘Blackmagic Camera Setup.’
- The software’s main screen will appear on your desktop. Then connect your BMPCC 4K, 6K, or 6K Pro to your computer using a USB cable.
- Turn on your camera. Ensure it’s fully charged, and if not, plug it into a power outlet.
- The camera utility will, at this point, scan for your camera. Eventually, it will detect the camera which should appear on your screen. If the firmware on your camera is different from what you’ve just installed, the utility will inform you your camera needs updating.
- Click on ‘Update Now.’ Then click on ‘Update.’
- Wait for the update to finish, and do not touch the camera as the firmware is installed. Once it’s done, click on ‘Close’ to exit the camera utility.
- At this point, the camera will reboot. You will notice flickering on the camera’s screen for a couple of minutes; this is normal, so there is no need to panic.
- Now your Pocket Cinema Camera is up-to-date with the Blackmagic Update 7.3.
Note that if you want to run an older version of the Blackmagic Update firmware, you can download and install it on your PC.
Also, the Camera Utility doesn’t scan the web for updates, so you have to download a fresh Camera Utility for each update.
There you go now you have installed the new Blackmagic Update 7.3 on your Pocket Cinema 4K, 6K, or 6K Pro.
In the future, you can visit the Blackmagic support site for fresh updates, download them and use the same steps to update your Pocket Cinema camera.
How to Use Sony FDR X3000 as Webcam